Sunday, 29 January 2012


The unit is finally looking more like a workshop rather than an empty space with an open plan toilet. There has been a lot to do to get it this far. As well as building a work bench i've also upgraded the security, built a stand for the frame jig and also the frame jig its self. Now all i have to do is build the motorbike! (the camera is on top of the stand and jig so you can't see them).  

I am using the 3D modelling software Solidworks to model up all my designs for the workshop. I use the models to give me dimensional details of the design. Below is a picture of the frame in the jig with the engine mounted.

and the real thing ...

The frame is not far off being finished now. A few more supports here and there and it will be ready for engine prep :D 

Wednesday, 7 December 2011

New Workshop

The eagle eyed readers amongst you will have noticed that my last post was back in August! this is for 2 reasons. Firstly a broken wrist ...

and secondly i've been preoccupied trying to find a job of some description. Lucky the nice people at Nissan invited me into there plant to work as a graduate engineer. The move to Nissan meant that i needed to find a new work shop for the bobber. A bit of internet surfing and i had found myself a second home.

its got a toilet and everything! As you can see by the material sitting on the floor there's plenty to build to get it looking like a proper workshop which i'll be doing over the next few weeks. WATCH THIS SPACE. 

Wednesday, 24 August 2011

Frame Design

Finally got around to posting a new blog entry. I've been busy trying to arrive at a final design for the frame. I've run into problems trying to make the frame look how I want but also keeping it strong enough to not collapse when am giving it full beans. The drawing below is what i have for now but i wouldn't be surprised if it needs some more small modifications :/

This is the working drawing for the jig i have designed through solidworks to mount the frame. Hopefully this jig will help maintain a high level of accuracy. I'm having to use a professional metal fabricator to machine some of the bits on the jig for me. Hopefully the next entry will have a picture of the real thing! 

Sunday, 24 July 2011

Concept Bike

The engine is nearly rebuilt now so i am going to need a frame to mount it in before i can get it fired up. I've been reading Motorcycle Dynamics by Vittore Cossalter to try and get my head around motorcycle dynamics but it turns out its all hideously complicated. I took a few recommended dimensions out of the book and copied the original frame in a few places and this is what i got so far:  

brooooooooooom broom brom broom broom broooooom broom broom  

Friday, 22 July 2011

Re-assembling Fun

It turns out that rebuilding engines at actually very expensive :/ new crank bearing shells, big end bearing shells, full gasket set, gasket cement, torque wrench, oil seals, piston circlips, oil filter and a few other bits and bobs all add up. I've been using padgetts motorcycles ( as a supplier who have always had the parts in and fast delivery so they get two thumbs up from me.

I've been storing everything that has come off the engine in Chinese take-away boxes. I thought i would share this with you because it works so well. Cheap to buy, they keep everything clean and contained, they are compact, easy to label and they can be re-used.

With all my spares to hand it wasn't long before it was looking like an engine again.

After re-installing the pistons to the connecting rods and getting all the piston circlips in i finished up last night trying to get the pistons into the cylinder block which i didn't have enough hands for so i called it night.

Sunday, 17 July 2011

Cleaning, cleaning, cleaning

With the engine now in pieces i broke out the iron wool and got scrubbing. A few days later and every part is  looking factory fresh again. Here's just a few bits and pieces...

Wednesday, 13 July 2011

Strip Down

With bible in hand...

I set about taking the engine to pieces. First I removed the engine from the frame

and then after knocking up an engine stand.....

I could start unbolting stuff!

The first problem i ran into came after trying to remove a tight cylinder head nut and ending up rounding it off.  The position of the nut couldn't have been any worse. 

The indent on top is were i tried to make a groove on top using a chisel then use a flat head screw driver to get it off which didn't work then the small hole you can see is the remains of my attempt to weld an Allen key to the top then use that as leverage but that didn't work either. 

If anyone out there needs advise on how to remove a rounded off nut or bolt here's mine...

This may look like another cheesy American gimic but it got the nut off with ease and i couldn't be happier with my Grip Tites.

With the Cylinder head off the rest off the dismantling was all straight forward. Internally everything looked in good working order apart from one half of the crank casing which had a small crack and needed to be professionally repaired.